Accompanying volunteers needed
Volunteering 13 April 2018
Please note this role is no longer available as of 24 July 2018.
Accompanying Companion volunteers needed
Room to Heal is a human rights charity and therapeutic community based in London. We support refugees and asylum seekers who have survived torture, trafficking and other gross human rights abuses to rebuild their lives in exile through an integrated programme of therapeutic and casework assistance. At the heart of our work lies the cultivation of community, through which our members can restore meaningful relationships with themselves and others, overcoming the legacy of their traumatic experiences. We have over 100 members from 30 different countries.
About the role
Many of our members face both emotional and practical difficulties when attending appointments alone. We are looking for volunteers to support our members on an ad hoc basis, to accompany our members to necessary appointments. These would most frequently be Home Office appointments, but could also be first meetings with hosts, or appointments with local councils or when trying to register with the GP. We are looking for volunteers who can provide moral support for our members, but who are also prepared to act as advocates when necessary. This role would most be suited to someone who could be available from time to time at short notice during working hours.
We would provide training and regular supervision to you in this role and we would need to do a DBS check. We are looking for a minimum 6 month commitment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to deal sensitively and empathically to vulnerable people
- Commitment to adhering to confidentiality
- Ability to travel around London (expenses will be paid)
- Commitment to supporting and empowering our members to access their rights
- Available at short notice on an ad hoc basis
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing asylum seekers and refugees
- Experience of advocacy work with asylum seekers and refugees
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to Iman Nafi at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.